Australia 2007/2008

This year it was Australia for Christmas and New Year. A brief stop in Singapore to catch up with Jorgen, Cheryl and Helen in the airport. It was all a bit of a rush as our flight was late in and we completely forgot that we had our cameras.

Then on to another flight to Brisbane where we were to spend Christmas and the following week. When choosing which parts of this enormous country to visit this was an obvious choice because 3 of Sean’s school friends have settled there: Guy, Jody and Rodney so it was an opportunity for some long overdue reunions. Special thanks to Guy and Lee for their incredible hospitality and for the use of Lee’s car while we were in Queensland.

The weather wasn’t great as a cyclone was threatening, and brought some much needed rain shortly after we left. We also met up with John, an army mate of Sean’s, who had recently moved to QLD and his daughter Robyn who was visiting from SA for the school hols. We did manage to spend some time on the Gold Coast, with the occasional trip to the Sunshine Coast. We had a wonderful time – even if it was too short, and we got soaked at the Australia Zoo.

Another flight southwards to Sydney for New year and the next couple of weeks. We had a booking at Doyle’s on Circular Quay for New Year’s Eve dinner, this was directly under the harbour bridge and provided us with spectacular views of the fireworks as well as a superb dinner. We spent the rest of the time doing touristy activities. We met up with Trevor (a former work colleague of Sean’s), his wife, Kim and their boys, unfortunately only once as they were some way out of the city and Sean was sampling Australia’s health service on the day we were going to visit them.

The pelican gets a special mention. We were sitting at a fish cafe in Nelson Bay when he strolled out of the water and up to the kitchen door. He banged on the door with his beak until one of the staff emerged with a bucket and fed him. Once fed he waddled back to the water and swam off.

The holiday was at an end and it was time for the long journey home. We decided to break the trip with a couple of nights in Hong Kong so that Elaine could indulge in some retail therapy.